Frequently Asked Questions






When are property taxes due?

      Property taxes are due each year on or before December 20th*. If you choose to pay in two installments, the first half is due on December 20th with the second half due on or before June 20th* of the following year. Tax bills are mailed by the 4th Monday in November, with a payment stub for each half.  We do not mail reminders for the second half, due June 20th.

      Subsequent billings may also be mailed in the event of a correction or late addition to the tax roll. If a structure is completed midyear or a personal property declaration is not received when due, a subsequent billing may result.

      Sub-roll billings on new construction, late additions and corrections to the roll are due on either February 20th* or March 20th* as indicated on the billing.

      *If the 20th falls on a weekend, the due date is extended to the first business day following the 20th.

back to top

How and where do I pay my taxes?

      Pay by Mail, making sure your envelope is U. S. postmarked on or before the due date. If mailing close to the deadline, we strongly suggest that you have your envelope postmarked at the postal counter rather than dropping it in the box, to be sure it is properly dated.Only payments with a USPS postmark on or before the due date will be accepted as current. Please send the bill stub with your payment to help us process your taxes efficiently.

      Treasurer mailing address: 501 N. Maple #210, Blackfoot, ID 83221

      Pay in Person at the Treasurer’s Office, 501 N. Maple Blackfoot, ID. Office hours are 9-5 Monday - Friday. We accept checks, cashier’s checks, money orders and cash. Credit and Debit cards are accepted for "in person" tax payments. There is a fee of 2.5% for this service.

      Pay by drop box at the entrance to the east parking lot for after-hours or weekend payments. The 5:00 p.m. deadline on December 20th and June 20th also applies to the drop box.

Online payments via the Bingham County Home Page "Pay County Taxes" & Phone Credit Card Payment Options!

Pay Online by credit

      Pay by Phone using a credit card: Call 1-800-2PAY-TAX. (1-800-272-9829)
      You will be asked to enter Jurisdiction code 2224 when paying by phone. 

      Credit card payments will be accepted only until 5:00 p.m. MST on the due date. The system will re-open three business days following the due date for delinquent payments. For payments by phone, dial 1-800-2PAY-TAX (800-272-9829). Credit card payment services are provided by a private vendor, and all fees associated with the transaction are paid by the taxpayerYou will receive a confirmation number indicating that your transaction is complete.

back to top

Can I make partial payments or get a head start on future years' taxes?

      Partial payments toward real property delinquent taxes are accepted (any amount, any time) and are applied to tax, costs, interest and late charge in the proportion each bears to the total amount due.

      Partial payments of at least $25 can be applied toward current year or future taxes on all property types. Any remaining balance may be paid according to the standard schedules and regulations for property tax collection.

      Once any part of a personal property or manufactured home tax becomes
      delinquent, the unpaid portion of the entire tax shall immediately become due and payable.

back to top

What if my payment is late?

      late charge equal to 2% of any unpaid portion of the first half of the tax is added at 5:00 p.m. on the due date. Interest accrues daily, at 1% per month, beginning January 1st of the year following the December 20th first half due date. The same applies to 2nd 1/2 payments, except if you are late in June, the interest goes back to the previous Jan 1st.

      When any portion of a manufactured home or personal property tax becomes delinquent, a Warrant of Distraint is issued to the County Sheriff for collection.Full payment of all tax, late charge, warrant fees and interest is required to release the warrant.

back to top

I received TWO bills but I only have one property. Why?

      If your new home was completed midyear and assessed after April, you may receive a “Subsequent/Occupancy” bill in January (due February 20th) or February (due March 20th) in addition to the “Real Property” billing issued in November, which represents tax on the land. When the home is completed and occupied, the home value is prorated and taxes billed on a “Subsequent/Occupancy” tax roll.

      Subsequent bills are late entries to the tax roll, and may not be coded for billing directly to your mortgage company. If your mortgage company will be paying the bill, please forward it to them immediately.

      If you own a business, you may receive a real property tax bill for the land and buildings and a business personal property tax bill on furniture, fixtures and equipment used in your business.

      If you own a manufactured home and the land it sits on, you will receive separate bills for the home and land. The value of the land is used to calculate the land tax; the value of the mobile home is used to calculate its tax. Each tax amount is then distributed proportionately to the taxing districts.

back to top

Failure to receive a bill does not excuse the taxpayer from paying taxes, late charge & interest accrued, if any.

back to top

How can I get HELP with my taxes?

      Property tax relief is available through the Homeowner’s exemption, State Circuit Breaker Program and the Hardship exemption. You must apply for Homeowner’s Exemptions and/or Circuit Breaker benefits with the Assessor’s office before April 15.

      The Homeowner’s Exemption reduces the taxable value of your primary residence by one-half of the value of the dwelling and up to one acre of homesite land, up to a maximum set by the State Tax Commission. You only need to apply for the Homeowner’s Exemption the first year you own and occupy a home.

      The Circuit Breaker is an income-based benefit for individuals 65+, disabled or widowed at any age, blind, fatherless or motherless children under 18 years of age, former prisoner of war/hostage, veteran with a 10%+ service-connected disability or a veteran receiving a VA pension for a nonservice-connected disability.

      If you qualify, the State of Idaho pays all or part of the property taxes on your primary residence and up to one acre of land. The benefit is calculated based on a sliding scale according to your income. Application must be received by April 15th of each year. Contact the Bingham County Assessor at 782-3022 for more information or to receive and application.

      Hardship Exemptions (63-711) for prior year taxes, are considered on a case-by-case basis and granted at the discretion of the County Commissioners at public hearing, based upon the financial status of the applicant and other related circumstances. The property owner can apply at any time of the year at the Commissioners’ Office.

      Exceptional Exemptions (63-602 AA) for current year taxes (which will not be billed until the end of the current calendar year), are granted on a case-by case basis, at the discretion of the Board of Equalization at public hearing, based upon the financial status of the applicant and other related circumstances. Applications must be received in the Commissioners’ Office no later than June 20th.

back to top

How do I challenge the amount of my tax if it seems TOO HIGH?

      You may challenge the taxable value of your property only during the month after you receive your assessment notice. Assessment notices are mailed on or before the 1st Monday in June of each year and the appeal must be received by the Commissioner' office by the 4th Monday in June. If you did not appeal the current year value in May or June, you must wait until next year to appeal the assessed value. Call the area appraiser listed on your assessment notice to begin the process.

      If you feel that the levy of a taxing district is too high or you wonder what the levy pays for, call the district directly. You can have input regarding the annual levy rate of a taxing district by participating in the annual budget hearing of the districts.

back to top

What is the notice I received from the Assessor & how does it relate to taxes?

      Assessment notices are issued to inform you of the value of the property and/or improvements. Pay close attention to the assessment notice, as the value listed will be used in calculating your tax bill in November. An estimated tax amount based on those values, using prior year levies, is shown on the notice. Keep in mind that this is only an estimate. Instructions for appeal of the value are on the back of the assessment notice.

      Appeals must be filed immediately upon receipt of the assessment notice. The appeal period closes after the 4th Monday in June of each year, you may contact the Assessor to discuss your property value for the upcoming year..

back to top

What are MY responsibilities as a property owner and taxpayer?

      Be aware of the important dates and deadlines shown in this brochure for payments, applications for property tax relief and assessment appeals.

      Ä It is particularly important that you be aware of your property tax due dates. Tax bills are mailed on each parcel. However, failure to receive a tax bill does notexcuse the taxpayer from paying the taxes, late charges and interest accrued, if any.

      If you acquire property during the year, call & request a tax statement showing what tax may be due.

      If you choose to pay by the 1/2 year, please make a note on your calendar that the second half is due by June 20th.

      When mailing your tax payment, be sure the envelope is U. S. postmarked on or before the due date.

      Be sure to notify the Assessor’s Office whenever yourmailing address changes.

      If you will be traveling or out of the country at the time taxes are due, contact our office for an “estimated tax amount” so that you can prepay or make other arrangements to pay by the due date.

      Proof of payment of property taxes is the responsibility of the taxpayer [I.C. 63-1306(2)]. Be sure to keep accurate records, receipts and cancelled checks documenting your payment.


Circuit Breaker
Payment Information
Tax Deeds
Tax Reductions