Bingham County Sheriff's Office Animal Control Officer provides service five days a week.  Monday thru Friday from the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  The Bingham County Animal Control has a staff of one officer.  The Animal Control Officer's responsibilities are as follows: patrol county roads to capture and impound loose and stray animals, respond to complaints from the public regarding stray, vicious, diseased or dead animals; investigation of animal bites and quarantine the animals if necessary; explain county ordinances relating to animals to the public; issue dog licenses; issue notices and citation to ordinance violators; maintain the shelter and provide euthanasia.  The Bingham County Animal Control also provides live traps for residents to use in catching nuisance cats or other animals.  The Animal Control Officer does not take skunk or other non-domesticated animal complaints.  For information concerning the animal shelter call (208)785-6897.  You may also contact the Bingham County Sheriff's Dispatch Center at

The Animal Shelter can be located at:                                   
                       199 Frontage Road                       
     Blackfoot, Idaho 83221 
    Phone: (208) 785-6897
Hrs: 8:00 a.m - 4:00 p.m.
Animal drop off accepted
12:00 p.m. -1:00 p.m.
or by appointment

Helpful Links

Bingham County
Humane Society

(208) 680-3881

Idaho Fish and

  Animal Health Clinic
  Phn: 785-5580 

 Blackfoot Animal Clinic
   Phn: 785-1960



The Humane Society of Bingham County is an animal protection organization focused on animal welfare issues, and the protection of all animals from the natural or human harm.  Some animals that are taken to the Animal Shelter are taken in by the Bingham County Humane Society Foster Program in an attempt to locate a quality home for the animal.  Animals can be adopted through the Bingham County Humane Society Monday, Wednesday and Saturday from the hours of
10:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.  

Tips on Animal Control:           

   Identify and license your pet.

   Spay or Neuter your pet.

   Keep your pet on a leash

   Do not leave your pet unattended (inside vehicle in warm temperatures)

   Make sure your pets are safe inside.

   Make sure your yard and fence are secure.

   Confine pets in safe and comfortable area (in bad weather conditions).


Frequently Asked Questions:

What types of animals does the Animal Control Officer pick up?

The Animal Control Officer only tends to domesticated animals, cats and dogs.  Incidents involving any other type of non-domesticated animals (skunks, porcupines, deer, elk, moose, injured birds...ect) need to be referred to the Idaho State Fish and Game which can be reached at (208) 232-4703.

How much does it cost to retrieve my pet from the Animal Shelter?

Pets that are retrieved from the Animal Shelter will cost the owner $20.00 for the first offense, and will increase $20.00 for each additional offense.  At the time the pet is picked up it will cost $10.00 additional for pets that are not licensed unless they have been spayed or neutered, the fee will then be $5.00.

How and when do I need to obtain a Kennel License?

A Kennel License can be obtained from the Bingham County Sheriff's Office business desk during business hours, Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.   Fees for a Kennel License are as follows, $25.00 a year for commercial, and $15.00 other plus a $5.00 tag. At any time that four or more dogs are kept on a property, a Kennel License is required. Blackfoot City does not issue Kennel Licenses.

How long will my pet be kept at the Animal Shelter?

Pets picked up in Bingham County are held for 5 days at the Animal Shelter before being destroyed.  Pets picked up in Blackfoot City are held for 5 days at the Animal Shelter before being destroyed.  If an owner of a pet wants their pet picked up or drops it off at the shelter there will be a $20.00 fee, $40.00 fee for litters. Drop off schedule: Monday, Wednesday & Thursday: 8:00-9:00 and 12:00-1:30 also Tuesday & Friday 12:00-1:00 Some pets that are taken to the Animal Shelter are taken in by the Bingham County Humane Society Foster Care Program which attempts to find quality homes for the animals.  The Bingham County Humane Society assists with all of the adoptions that occur through the Animal Shelter.  Animals can be adopted  through the Bingham County Humane Society on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday from the hours of 10:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.

My neighbor's dog is always barking.  What can I do? Can I remain anonymous?

You will have to attempt to have the approximate address for the problem dog and call the Sheriff's Department on the non-emergency number (208)785-1234.  The animal Control Officer will respond and either talk to the dog owner or leave a notice making them aware of the problem.  If the problem continues and you want something else done, you will not be able to remain anonymous.  You will have to come forward with specific dates and times you were disturbed.  If you are willing to testify in court and want prosecution, a citation can be issued to the dog owner.

Can my dog/s or cat/s run loose?

It is unlawful to allow your dog to run loose.  All dogs must be leashed and kept under control when not properly contained.  It is also unsafe for the dog as it could get hit by a car, lost or stolen, or get in to a fight with another animal.

At this time there is no county ordinance in place that prohibits a cat from running loose.










































                                                   2011-2016 Bingham County Sheriff Office - All Rights Reserved
                                                    Web Site Development provided by S Featherston